GTC505 Engine Ignition Analyzer
Finding dead or malfunctioning coils and plugs can be hard work. The GTC505 makes ignition troubleshooting quick, easy, and painless. It’ll help you, and the people depending on you, get moving again!
The GTC505 is the product of 20 years of work (by GTC) on ignition diagnostics. This tool will tell you exactly what’s going on with any spark ignition system as soon as you put its sensor by your coil (or spark plug wire). Swapping coils and other components in and out until you figure out what’s wrong is slow, tedious, and wasteful. The GTC505 will take the guesswork out, so you can be confident that the problem will be solved on your first try.
Who it’s For:
- Automotive technicians doing diagnostics, tuning, or aftermarket modifications
- Motorcycle technicians doing diagnostics or aftermarket modification on modern engines
- Marine and small engine mechanics should take a look at the GTC505m kit.
What it Does:
Quickly and easily detects engine RPM and spark parameters. Useful for checking for ignition system faults and misfires, and for tuning or aftermarket modifications.
How it Works:
- Connect the appropriate sensor
- Turn the unit on
- Position the sensor near the ignition module or wire
- Check the engine RPM, spark peak voltage, burn time, and dwell angle/ramp time. The digital view gives you a quick look at the average, and the chart view will show you any misfires.
Warranty & Support:
Covered by our standard 1-year warranty, and supported for much longer. Replacement parts and accessories are generally available for 10+ years.
- Display waveforms in real time
- Detect and display dwell angle (in high voltage sparkplug-wire systems), and ramp time (for COP systems)
- Graph burn time, spark plug voltage, dwell/ramp time, and RPM for each spark, allowing for detection of misfires
- Compare readings between cylinders with a “candlestick” graph that displays maximum, minimum, and average readings for each cylinder
- Display everything on a 3.5″ color TFT LCD screen
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery provide 6+ hours of working time
- Pass the rigorous “MIL-STD-810” drop test
- Multiple sensors and hook-up options:
- All specially designed for use with the GTC505
- 2 m (74”) shielded coaxial cable with BNC and sensor connector
- 30 cm (12”) shielded flexible gooseneck with BNC and sensor connector
- Cable and flexible gooseneck can be use with any sensor
- Electrically shielded clip-on and spark plug wire sensors fit up to 8 mm diameter wires
- Active coil on plug (COP) sensor for optimal signal detection and rejection of interference from other ignition modules
- Automatic detection and configuration of the sensors
- Compatible with the 2 m (74”) shielded coaxial clip-on spark plug wire sensor P/N: GTC014
|Measures Engine RPM||✓||✓||✓|
|Measures Peak Spark Voltage||✓||✓||✓|
|Measures Spark Burn Time||✓||✓|
|Measures Dwell Angle||✓|
|Measures Ramp Time||✓|
|TA100 Sensor||TA500 Sensor||GTC011 SPW Sensor||GTC012 COP Sensor|
|Works on Capacitive Discharge Systems||✓||✓||✓|
|Works on Distributor Systems||✓||✓||✓|
|Works on Magneto Systems||✓||✓||✓|
|Works on Coil-On-Plug Systems||✓||✓|
What is the difference between the GTC505, the GTC505m, and the GTC014?
The GTC505 is an engine ignition analyzer. The most basic kit it comes in: with a flexible probe, extension cable, cop sensor, spw sensor, USB micro cable and AC charger adapter, user’s manual, 1 year warranty, and hard padded carrying case.
The GTC505m is an upgraded version of the GTC505 kit – it comes with everything in the GTC505 kit, but with the GTC014 accessory, and a larger hard padded carrying case to accommodate the extra accessory.
The GTC014 can be purchased separately (here), or together with the analyzer in the GTC505m kit.
|Engine Ignition Analyzer||✓||✓|
|Spark Plug Wire (SPW) Shielded Capacitive Sensor||✓||✓|
|Coil-on-Plug (COP) Active Sensor||✓||✓|
|Clip-on Spark Plug Wire Capacitive Sensor||✓||✓|
|Extension Cable with BNC and Barrel-type Connectors||✓||✓|
|USB-A to USB Micro-B Cable and AC Adapter||✓||✓|
|Protective Rubber Holster||✓||✓|
|Hard, Padded Case for Carrying and Storage||✓||✓|
|1-Year Parts and Labor Warranty||✓||✓|
- GTC505 engine ignition analyzer (core unit)
- COP pickup
- SPW pickup
- USB-A to micro-B USB cable 0.9m (3′) long
- AC to USB power adapter (charger)
- hard-shell, padded storage and carrying case
- user’s manual
Parts & Accessories
Proposition 65 Warning ⚠
This product can expose you to chemicals including Styrene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Bisphenol A (BPA), which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to: www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.